Memory keeping has been a popular practice for generations, but as technology has evolved, so have the methods and trends for capturing and preserving memories. Today’s memory keeping trends are ‘homespun’, but digitally savvy. There are a variety of current trends in memory keeping that reflect the growing popularity of digital media, the desire for personalization and creativity, and the need for simplicity and organization. From social media to bullet journals to virtual reality, these trends are changing the way we document and cherish our memories. In this article, we will explore some of the latest trends in memory keeping and how they are shaping the future of this beloved practice.
While Facebook and social media was blamed for the decline of scrapbooking in the early 2000s, it is now partly responsible for the memory keeping resurgence of 2023 among younger people. TikTok and other social media platforms are helping to revive a resurgence of 90s trends in crafting, scrapbooking, journaling and planning. What was once simply a way for creators to relax has now become a source of comfort and intrigue for millions of social media users. The hashtag #scrapbook on TikTok has gained significant traction, accumulating over 2.6 billion views and continuing to rise. The content often veers away from personal storytelling and leans towards soothing ASMR-style videos, showcasing various themes such as popular culture (including Disney, Stranger Things, and Tim Burton movies), specific color schemes, or unique floral designs.
A growing trend and a great way to enjoy digital photo images. Many styles and themes are available and the multitude of printing websites continues to grow. With so many options, it’s hard to choose, but ‘The Photo Book Guru’ has a nice collection of reviews to help make the choice easier.
It appears that many people are growing weary of constantly looking at screens, as evidenced by the rise in popularity of paper crafts. According to Pinterest, the interest in paper crafts is one of the biggest emerging trends of 2023, with a significant increase in searches for origami (up 175%) and quilling (up 60%). One aspect of this trend is a resurgence in scrapbooking, particularly among younger consumers.
While paper crafts and scrapbooks are popular, many people still choose to go the digital route, for which the possibilities are endless. Canva has become the new ‘go to’ for many people opting for digital scrapbooking and memory keeping, but other options include Photoshop or Forever Artisan. Or jump right into one of the latest trends and scrapbook directly on a smartphone with an easy to use scrapbooking app.
Note: Below are some of the newest scrapbooking products that you can find in my new Etsy Store, Memory Lane Chronicles:
Journaling & Planning
Journaling is a popular and ancient form of Memory Keeping that remains relevant today. It can be a cathartic experience, providing an emotional release and aiding in personal growth, bereavement, and therapy. Writing down thoughts, feelings, and experiences can help individuals gain clarity on their goals, values, and beliefs, and serve as a means of coping and processing grief. In therapy, journaling can promote self-exploration and self-awareness, leading to emotional healing and personal growth. Overall, journaling is a transformative practice that can lead to a sense of relief and renewal.
‘Junk Journals’ are a huge trend in 2023. A junk journal is a handmade book that is created using materials such as old books, scrap paper, vintage postcards, and other ephemera. The materials are typically layered, decorated, and embellished with various art techniques such as collage, stamping, painting, and drawing to create a visually interesting and tactile journal. Junk journals can be used for a variety of purposes including memory keeping, art journaling, personal reflection, and creative writing. The unique and personalized nature of junk journals makes them a popular form of creative expression that encourages experimentation and inspires individuals to use their creativity to document their lives in unique and meaningful ways.
Note: Here are some of the journaling and paper craft products recently added to my Etsy Store Memory Lane Chronicles:
Genealogy sites can be used as a tool to preserve family history stories and photos in several ways:
- Building family trees: Genealogy sites allow individuals to create and build family trees, which can include information about ancestors, descendants, and family relationships. By building a family tree, individuals can preserve and organize information about their family history, including stories and photos.
- Uploading photos and documents: Many genealogy sites allow users to upload photos and documents related to their family history. This can include old family photos, documents such as birth certificates and marriage licenses, and other historical records.
- Sharing family stories: Genealogy sites often provide a platform for users to share family stories and memories with others. By sharing stories and memories, individuals can preserve and pass on their family history to future generations.
- Connecting with relatives: Genealogy sites also offer the opportunity to connect with relatives who may have additional information or photos to contribute to the family history. By connecting with relatives, individuals can expand their understanding of their family history and preserve more comprehensive records.
Here are some of the most popular options:
- Ancestry.com (has most records & dna)
- MyHeritage (best for local searching)
- Geni (collaborative world family tree)
- FamilySearch (totally free use and can join a world tree. Can upload photos and stories)
This is just a short list of the possibilities that await for Memory Keeping in 2023. In all cases, the first step is to make sure that all your memories are safe from disaster. This means physical items such as printed photos/keepsakes are protected and stored in archival safe containers. And that digital items are collected in one place with backups in place.
For more information and for additional Memory Keeping ideas, be sure to follow me on Pinterest and visit my ETSY stores: